In the following, we are going to see the usage and formula of past perfect tense with some examples.
past perfect tense formula:
S + had + V3 + O
past perfect tense Usage:
we use the past perfect tense to express a completed action interrupted by another action in the past.
past perfect tense Examples:
- I watched the movie when my parents had had dinner.
- I had met her before we met in the class.
- I had finished my homework before midnight.
- By the time my parents went to the market, I had done all my exercises.
- I organized my room when the constructions had gone.
- John said he had already finished his homework.
- I had eaten dinner with my parents when they asked me to join them.
- It had rained last night, so our guests didn’t come.
- After Lola had finished her work, she went to the gym.
- If I had known you were here, I would have come to see you.
Check also the usage and formula of:
- present simple
- present perfect
- present continuous
- present perfect continuous
- Past simple
- past continuous
- past perfect continuous
- future simple
- future perfect
- future continuous
- future perfect continuous