In the following, we are going to see the usage and formula of past perfect continuous tense with some examples.
past perfect continuous tense formula:
S + had been + (V+ing) + O
past perfect continuous tense Usage:
we use the past perfect continuous tense to express an action started in the past and last for a period of time before being interrupted by another action.
past perfect continuous tense Examples:
- I had been waiting for the bus for over an hour before you came.
- She had been learning a new language for 3 years before she traveled abroad.
- I had been studying at this university for three years before I finally got my degree.
- I hadn’t been waiting for the bus for a long time when it suddenly arrived.
- he had been working at this company for three years when after graduating.
- I had been studying the whole night before my mother asked me to get some rest.
- My parents had been traveling for many years before I was born.
- I hadn’t been taking care of myself until I felt suddenly I had to.
- He had been playing football for four years before He left his passion eventually.
- We had been looking for you the whole day before one of your friends told us you are not coming.
Check also the usage and formula of:
- present simple
- present perfect
- present continuous
- present perfect continuous
- Past simple
- past perfect
- past continuous
- future simple
- future perfect
- future continuous
- future perfect continuous